Sunday, November 22, 2009

Eastern Minnesota









This year Jeff and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. He told me to do some research and figure out where we should spend our anniversary. He was quite surprised and somewhat dismayed when I told him I wanted to go to Minnesota. After all, he's a die hard Badger fan. Several years ago, I drove up to Duluth for the Minnesota Quilt Symposium and was overwhelmed at the beauty of the area. I really wanted him to see it with me.

Because we decided to take a trip on a somewhat short notice (about 2 weeks) I had some difficulty finding a place to stay. I got super lucky and was able to get a room at the Cove Point Lodge in Beaver Bay, population of about 300 people. One of the great things about this lodge is that every room faces Lake Superior. They also served a Swedish breakfast each morning. This lodge was wonderful and in a perfect location. It was located right on the shores of Lake Superior and the Gitchi Gami bike trail went right through the hotel property. Our goal was to go somewhere where we could hike and bike. This fit the bill. The scenery was unbelievable. The biking was a little bit challenging. The trails were paved which was really nice but the hills took the wind out of my sails a little bit. I think we hiked in 5 different state parks along the lake.

I'm lucky that I have taken some fantastic trips. The eastern shores of Minnesota ranks really high on that list. I've can't say that I've ever seen so many wild flowers anywhere else. We had rain a couple of days and that made the forest alive with color. I can't decide which waterfall was my favorite, there were so many.

No comments:

Post a Comment