Monday, December 26, 2011
Several years ago, there was a speaker at the quilt guild who briefly spoke about a t-shirt quilt she made. That wasn't the purpose of her talk but the thing I remembered was that she used her serger and she quilted the squares one at a time before the quilt was put together. No need to use stabilizer with this method. I decided that was the method for me.
We discovered a box of tshirts in Whitney's closet. She's been married and gone for a little over a year now. So we figured what she left in her closet was fair game. I made a couple of mistakes and that being not taking into account that some of the graphics were large. I ignorantly thought I'd just make 12 inch squares then I came upon my first graphic that was larger than 12 inches. So I had cut up a couple of shirts that I wasn't able to use. I did have enough shirts to work with but there were a few shirts that I used the front and back because I either liked the color or the shirt had her name on it.
Here's the back of the quilt. The main fabric is from M'Liss Hawley and it's "Houston" fabric. I was short for one square so I used Wisconsin Badger fabric. Whitney is a Wisconsin alum and she now lives in Houston. Pretty clever huh?
A couple of years ago, my friend Donna and I hosted another Saturday sew-in at work. We focused on quick Christmas gifts. On project was a raggy watermelon potholder. When I purchased all the fabric for the potholders, I also purchased additional yardage to make this apron. I finished it a while ago and I guess forgot to post it. The fabric came from Hancock Fabrics.
The pattern used is McCalls 5643.
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
My goal for the outfit was to have a skirt that had kind of a Christmas feel to it. You can see this isn't Christmas fabric but with the red and aqua colors it could lend itself that way. I purchased two aqua shirts from Old Navy but ended up only using one. I wanted to get away from always using a white shirt but the design just didn't pop on the aqua. So back to white it was. You really can't tell that the design on the aqua shirt it Christmas candy. Well I guess that will make it easier for my niece to wear it longer than the Christmas season.
Now for the important parts. The mint applique is from Planet Applique. The "K" is the Jack and Jill font from Planet Applique. The font for Kayla is called Sammy from 8CAAP and finally the raggy flower is from Hang to Dry. I really like how the white shirt pops those colors out.
I wish the main fabric was a little more vibrant. I couldn't find any good slumber party fabric and I saw this at Hancock's and thought I better grab this. I had the slumber party theme in my mind and didn't want to change that thought.
Tuesday, December 6, 2011
I saw this basketball fabric at Jacqi's shop. Gosh, I wish they would quit coming out with such beautiful novelty fabrics. I could work on other items besides pillowcases. At least they're a quick project. For those of you who follow my blog, the banding fabric is the same that I used on Whitney and Joshua's beer pillowcases last year. I love that fabric. I thought the same fabrics would work with the basketball fabric.
The font is also the same as I used for the beer pillowcases. It's "Pharmacy" by Jolson's.
Thursday, December 1, 2011
We have a new baby in the business family. One of Jeff's employees is now a proud father. These are some things I made for her.
I put the same applique design on this little onesie. I used a font from my software package, can't remember which one though.