Saturday, December 5, 2009

Winter Quilt Retreat






Typically, quilt retreat takes place during December and March. Lawrence University had changed up their semester breaks so our retreat dates got changed up also. We are lucky to be able to use this fabulous lodge that belongs to Lawrence University in Door County. Located along the shore of Lake Michigan in Bailey's Harbor, Bjorklunden lodge sits on over 400 wooded acres. Lawrence uses this lodge for educational seminars, music events, etc. Just recently, an addition was built onto the lodge. We now sew in the new addition.

The great room is where we used to sew. This room has a fabulous view of the lake. You really felt like you were on a retreat when the sun was rising or setting and you could see that from these beautiful windows. Our new sewing space seems to be a little larger plus the table arrangement is better.

I think that the great room can fit about 40-44 sewing machines. Here is my little home for the next four days. Because this lodge belongs to a university, the rooms are dorm style. The dorm rooms can accommodate 4-6 individuals. We typically de-bunk the beds and put on one of our quilts. I arrived late this year, so Jessie and Pat had already rearranged the room and made the beds.

I consider myself very lucky to be able to attend Jacqi's retreat. Besides being able to sew in such a fantastic place, you are surrounded by some of the most creative, artistic quilters around. Early in the morning, I like to walk up and down the rows before a lot of women are awake. I like to look at all the sewing machines, the projects and the fabrics. I didn't really do too much quilting this time around. I mostly worked on garment sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment