This is the second pattern that I've made from Tie Dye Diva. I was pretty excited to make it. I wasn't going to add any machine embroidery to it. Just get it done. Well that didn't happen. I decided to put some appliques on it. The cherry design is from Lynnie Pinnie and the font is from Planet Applique.
The top was pretty easy to make. Very little hand sewing. There are buttons on both sides of the top. I got all the fabrics on clearance. So I think the top maybe was about $1 and the pants were in the neighborhood of a bout $1. Pretty decent price for an outfit. But that's not all. I hit the $2 tank top sale at Old Navy a couple of weeks ago and found one tank top in Kayla's size. So the cool thing is that she actually has three looks to wear with the pants.Forgive the white streak going down the shirt, I haven't washed the tailor's chalk off of it yet.
One thing that I tried with the pattern is the use of bridal loops. The pattern called for 1/8" elastic. Somehow the thought popped into my head that I should try bridal loops for a neater look. I have a huge container that is full of bridal laces. I was sure I had loops in there. Well I did find some. I only had about a 5 inch piece but certainly enough for this project. The important thing is to make sure that the tape is well inside your 1/2 inch seam allowance. I used 1/2 inch buttons and they work, however, I think using a slightly smaller button would be better like a 3/8" button.
I'm a working mom who has a few too many hobbies. I've been sewing since 4th grade, making some pretty rough looking Barbie clothes by hand. I think I moved to the sewing machine around 7th or 8th grade. I've taken very few sewing classes. Because I spent a lot of years in Catholic school, I only had about 3 months of sewing in Home Ec. Most of what I've learned has come from the library, the internet and my friends.