Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bridal Corselette




Well, not exactly. The structural elements will be sewn onto the gown and not separately. When you think of a built-in corselette, they are attached to the inner workings of the dress but they have two closings. One for the corselette and one for the garment. There will only be one closing in the gown.

I have the bones finally in the muslin bodice. If you remember, I stated that there would be thirteen bones in the bodice. Whitney has been here a couple of times but we didn't have time to mess with the dress. I may have to place another order for bones. There are a couple that I think maybe a half inch too long.

I don't know if the two bones that run diagonally on the back of the dress will stay in that position. I stitched them on without giving much thought to the exact placement. That's ok for right now. This is a muslin and they are basted on. I don't know how much of the back opening I will need to carve out for the lace up back. I'm hoping that I'll have the skirt attached tomorrow and Whit will be able to try it on. I will have to fit the waist stay tomorrow when Whitney comes over. The waist stay and the boning will help to hold up the skirt.

For the "real" bridal gown, the boning channels will not be stitched onto the fashion fabric. They will be stitched onto the underlining.


Here is an example of an inner corselette. You can see the boning channels and the waist stay. You can also see that the corselette has a hook and eye closure while the dress has a zippered closure. This is a 1950's Dior. This is haute couture. I could only dream that my garments would be such perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment