Sunday, October 16, 2011

Stop One, Paron's

There are possibly a hundred fabric shops in the garment district. How does one decide where to go? I had done some research on most of the fabric stores. I went armed with three Google maps indicating my choices. My first stop was Paron's. We started at the furthest end of the garment district then would work our way down to FIT. Paron's was mentioned several times in online articles that I had read. I decided that it had great reviews so I had to put that on my list. It didn't disappoint.
The staff was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The lady that was helping me told me she would give me a discount. I think it was 15%. I was in search of a Burda Style magazine and immediately found it here. Well, one thing off my list. I can't tell you how much I wanted to buy a couple of containers of buttons. Those little containers were super heavy because they were packed with buttons. Many looked vintage, I don't know if they were, but they were a great deal. However, I knew that lugging 25 pounds of buttons through Manhattan was not a good plan so I scrapped that idea.
I was in awe at all the beautiful fabric. Of course I had expected to see lovely things. I was fortunate enough a few years ago to have a teeny, tiny window of fabric shopping time in NYC. But the wools and boucles and embroidered fabrics were overwhelming. I ended up purchasing two pieces of fabric. Actually a poly-cotton boucle that was made in France and a beautiful piece of lace that was made in Italy. The boucle I got for a whopping $7.00 a yard. The lace however was pricey. That was $36.00/yard. But remember I got a discount!
I put something dark under this cotton embroidery. I'm hoping that I will be able to cut between the flowers when I have the perfect project. I thinking a christening gown perhaps.

It's difficult to see but this was a three dimensional fabric.The leaves were not flat on the fabric. Simply gorgeous.
Paron's will certainly be on my list the next time I'm in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment